New York CPE Requirements for CPAs
New York CPAs have the following options:
- Complete a minimum of 40 contact hours of acceptable formal continuing education in any of the recognized subject areas, or
- Complete a minimum of 24 contact hours of acceptable formal continuing education concentrated in one subject area.
- Approved subject areas are: accounting, attest, auditing, taxation, advisory services, specialized knowledge and applications related to specialized industries, and such other areas appropriately related to the practice of accounting as may be acceptable to the Department.
License Renewal Date
Triennial based on date of issuance (current) and birth month (prior to 1/1/1993).
CPE Reporting Period
1/1 to 12/31 annually
New York Ethics CPE Requirement
- Four (4) hours of professional ethics during the three calendar years preceding the license expiration date.
- The four (4) hours of professional ethics may be counted toward the annual contact hour requirement in the calendar year that they are taken.
- If the licensee’s principal place of business is New York or they are only licensed in New York, then the ethics course must be approved by New York.
- If the licensee’s principal place of business is not New York and they are licensed in their Principal Place of Business, then regulatory ethics earned from a New York, NASBA, or Principal Place of Business approved provider may be applied towards the New York ethics requirement.
NY Ethics Courses offered by JN CPE
Are JN CPE Courses accepted by the New York State Board?
Yes. The NY State Board accepts courses sponsored by entities registered with NASBA. JN CPE is a NASBA Registry QAS provider and our courses are accepted by State Boards of Accountancy nationwide. Our NASBA/QAS Self-
New York State Board of Accountancy Contact Information
New York State Board for Public Accountancy
State Education Department Division of Professional Licensing Services
89 Washington Avenue, 2nd Floor, East Mezzanine
Albany, NY 12234-1000
Phone: 518-474-3817 ext. 160
State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of CPE courses. Please contact your state board if you have any questions regarding the New York CPE requirements.